Weekend Antics

We had a pretty fun weekend this past one. We started it all off with a trip to Poinsettia park for "Jazz in the Park" on Friday. They do jazz concerts at a really nice park and tons of families with young kids are there to get out and be social without having to pay for a sitter. We were total novices because there were people there with coolers of food, bottles of wine and picnic tables...reminded me of a pleasantville version of tailgating.
Anyway, we showed up with 2 kids, a stroller and a few stale snacks at the bottom of my bag...of course the kids were starving and running up to all the other people and looking at them with a hollow-eyed street urchin look on their faces. But once the music started and all the kids were dancing they forgot about it. Chloe made a new friend and Owen said his first sentence! Before I tell you what he said I'll lay out his state of mind...total exhaustion. He had woken up from his nap at 1:00 and the concert started at 6:30...so by the time 7:00 rolled around he was done. He climbed into the stroller, locked it up, looked at me and said...
"I gah go!"
I said "You want to go home?"
"Dah! (which is yeah) I gah go!"
This was said with the saddest little desperate look and a hint of a whine...so cute!
Sadly, for poor Owen we didn't go for another 30 minutes or so but he hung in there like a champ only saying he had to go a few more times before we actually did go.
Then on Sunday (yes this is going to be one of those long blabbering posts so bear with me) we all loaded up the bikes and went on our first family bike adventure! We went to Escondido...woo hoo! OK really it was a lot of fun. We went to this huge county park and rode our bikes all around...Chloe was a little champ! She was chugging up some pretty tough hills on her little Dora bike and doing a really great job! It was pretty darn hot too so by the time we got to the second playground she was beet red and over it. So we had a little picnic lunch and then, because the lunch was a sad combo of whatever was left in the pantry, we stopped by Wendy's for some real food...burgers and frosties.
I also had my very first taste of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream this weekend....anyone know about this ice cream? I've seen it on the shelves at the grocery store for like...ever and never thought it sounded good. Man was I wrong. The combo of a hot day and a certain time of the month made this the most fantastic little treat I've had in a long time. I'm pretty sure that if I were left alone with it I could finish the entire carton in one sitting...this is why I do NOT buy these types of fabulous ice cream...but I did....and I'm glad.
Now I'm off to work out and hopefully balance out the huge bowl of ice cream I just ate right now...darn you Ben and Jerry's and your evil cherry ice cream of doom!

Comments