Now that we're reaching the end of the year I have been really reflecting on what a great year this was for me. I can't always say that...but this year seemed a turning point in many ways. One of the big ones was that I finally started getting creative again. This doesn't sound too major, but for me it is. It started with the piano we got at Christmas (I have been really slacking on that lately). I started playing and remembered how good it feels to sit down and make music. From there I started researching how to teach art and what some good crafts mould be for the kids. I actually taught my first little craft day on Black Friday. I had some friends drop their kids off and we had a great time. It was a real eye opener for 2 reasons...1. I really enjoyed it and could see myself in that role more often...2. I have no idea what I'm doing and need to make my next step researching how to get the right age-appropriate projects.
As well as the music and art I have been loving loving loving tap. It is just such a wonderful combination of exercise, fun and creativity...although the creativity is just something I see through the teachers :)
Also I have gotten into really good shape and I feel better than I have in years. I started running and taking tap at the end of last year and have added strength training and other things in the mix. It is making me feel better and happier all around. I am an exercise junkie. I'm hoping that I will be in my first 5K in April of next year.
One of the best things that has happened is that Brian and I seem to have reached a really good place in our marriage. This has made me able to breathe a really big sigh of relief. Not that it was SO bad, but anyone who has been married a while and has kids knows that things start to strain after a while. We made it through and are stronger than ever.
The one that I feel wonderful and strange about at the same time is that we have started going to church...and I love it! The pastor really knows how to get his message out there in a non-threatening way. But it's so strange for me to like it so much. I was anti-church for so many years that part of me feels like I'm betraying my old self by liking it so much...I really don't know how to describe it. But anyway...I'm not letting it get to me too much...i'm just trying to become a better person and church is helping me feel like I'm doing OK where I am right now.
I realize that this year has been tough for many people. A lot of people close to me had a really rough year and are still struggling. There has been loss of jobs, divorce, cancer, loss of loved ones and loss of babies. All these things are making me feel blessed that I didn't have to go through any of that. It may sound selfish but it's true. I am lucky that I didn't have any major challenges this year or life changing events. I'm hoping that for these people, next year will be a little easier and they will find happiness in the little things to keep them going.
I'm looking forward to Christmas and what next year has to bring! But for right now I'm off to get my hair done and do Brian a favor by going blonde again woo hoo!
Comments